Welcome to:: The Digi Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are awesome ^,^

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emotionless-robot
::DigiDestined::
emotionless-robot

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing" Empty
PostSubject: Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"   Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 5:29 pm

I ended up having to do a fic for BenignUser, so here it is!

Likes: I like parodies, satire, friendship fics, drama, and various cutesy-stuff. I'm also a big sucker for Tai/Kari sibling fics.
Dislikes: AU's, cookie-cutter/same-sex romance, the digimon taken out of digimon, culture-swaps (ie. American culture being a big part of a story set in Japan).
Preferred Protagonists: Taichi, Hikari, Jyou, Koushiro, Mimi, Daisuke, Miyako (not necessarily in that order).
Plot Points: surprise me!
Fanfic clichés you cant stand: the "I can't live unless I'm dating X" persona, the "I'm no longer friends with X cause X is dating Y" persona, and of course the "I'm an incompetent doofus and I can't do anything right yet none of my character faults will be addressed in this fic cause that's just how everyone thinks I should be" persona.
That was four dislikes and three "can't stand" things. Hope that doesn't mean I'm now the "too precise" guy. lol

Hope you like it XD

Gone Fishing by emotionless-robot

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think you two were toddlers again."

Tai gave his father an exasperated look before resuming his position gazing out the window of the speeding vehicle and pouting. Kari pretended not to hear her father's comment at all, and continued reading her magazine without acknowledging his statement.

"Come on, guys. Stop sulking and cheer up! You're going to be spending all afternoon with each other anyways."

Kari would've groaned audibly, but that would have meant that she'd be admitting to listening in the first place. There was no way she was getting out of the van—none whatsoever. She was going to pretend that her father wasn't dragging her out into the middle of nowhere, sticking her in a boat with the most obtuse person in the world, and leaving them all alone for the afternoon to go fishing.

She hadn't been inclined to go fishing since she was five, thank you very much.

Just as Kari finished idly flipping through the commercialized pages of her magazine, their father pulled over onto the side of the road, whistling jovially, and then proceeded to grab their fishing gear, boat, etc. All this hassle could have been avoided, though, if Tai hadn't been such a jerk and actually listened to her for once instead of coming to his own conclusions and lecturing her on stuff he didn't even understand. Her weekend could have been spent laying out on the beach with Yolei or taking a walk in the park with Gatomon. Instead she was stuck with her stupid brother who had noodles for brains.

Hopping out of the car and tugging on her lifejacket, Kari wondered what exactly her father expected this trip to accomplish. Already she and Tai weren't speaking to each other and sending each other nasty looks every chance they got… Any attempt at peace-making was sure to fail right now. He should have waited another week or so before forcing them into bonding time.

Only a few minutes later and their father was roaring away down the road (probably laughing his head off), leaving Tai and Kari alone and fuming.

She brushed past him, sliding into the rocking boat, not even trying to be helpful as Tai pushed off from the shore. Paddling methodically, they worked in disharmony, eventually ending up a ways out from the beach, surrounded by nothing by water and their animosity for each other.

They set up their fishing rods separately, on either side of the boat. Kari wasn't expecting any bites, nor did she want any—a nice, long nap out in the midday sun was surely enough for her. Resting the rod against the side of the boat, Kari pulled her hat over her eyes and let her mind wander wherever it fancied.

On the other hand, Tai was too incensed to even consider taking a nap. He couldn't believe she was acting this way! He'd done nothing wrong but to express his opinion—which she should have asked for in the first place—and provide an objective view on the situation. Perhaps Kari hadn't viewed it that way, but there was no need for her to sulk like a child about it. Her shoulders were hunched, her arms were crossed, and there was a permanent look of distaste on her face.

It was his entire fault, naturally.

The silence gathered around them as time passed miserably. The biting chill of the wind contrasted greatly with the scorching heat of the sun and Tai began to wonder if that was how menopausal women felt all the time. (And he solemnly vowed to never laugh at his grandmother again when she complained about it.) Tai rested his chin in his hand, getting bored with being wrapped up in his thoughts. A man of action was never supposed to be still; why couldn't their father have let them go for a hike instead of sitting idly in a boat all day long? The fish weren't even biting—heck, Tai would bet every bit of money he owned that there weren't even fish in these waters.

Sneaking a glance back at his sister, he frowned when he saw that she was fast asleep, snoring lightly (though she'd never admit it). Even if it was a mean thing to do and would surely earn him a smack on the head, Tai couldn't resist poking her awake and watching as she blearily glared at him in rage.

"What the hell is your problem?" she spat, throwing her hat at him for emphasis. "You've been nothing but a jerk to me for the past week and I've done nothing wrong!"

Tai's grin faded swiftly and he retaliated, "'Nothing wrong'? You have been ignoring me completely. I was just trying to get your attention, Kari. No need to be moody about it."

"Well, you've got my attention now, Tai. What do you have to say that's so important?"

"First of all, I don't like your tone. Second, you really shouldn't be dating until you're at least thirty."

Kari yanked on her hair and growled in frustration, "No, no, no, a hundred times NO! I told you before—I can make my own decisions. Haven't you noticed that you're the only one who disapproves? Can't you see that you're being unreasonable? Tai, I haven't done anything wrong. I went on a date with TK, and you went crazy about it for no reason."

"I have every right to disapprove," he countered. "You're my sister and it's practically my job to keep you away from boys for as long as I can. Don't tell me to stop worrying about you, 'cause I won't." He huffed, crossed his arms and stared defiantly at his sister.

"I'm not asking," Kari said slowly, "for you to stop worrying about me. I'm asking you to do it in a way that doesn't involve ruining my life. And I don't understand why you have a problem with TK. You've known him forever."

"I just…" he sighed, rubbing a hand over his face in dismay, "I don't want to see you get hurt. You're my sister and I love you, but that also means that I have to be the bad guy sometimes and make sure you know what you're getting into before you do it."

"I know what I'm getting into, Tai."

"Do you? You're going to start spending your weekends with him, and your room will be filled with cute, stuffed animals that he gives you. You'll invite him over for dinner and sometimes he'll have you over at his house. The two of you are going to fight over silly things and make each other mad and you might not get over those fights. You're probably going to break up soon and when you do, Kari, you'll be heartbroken and honestly, I'm not looking forward to seeing you cry your eyes over some guy that doesn't deserve to be cried over. And if you don't break up, eventually you two will… do other things that I don't even want to get into right now. You might end up marrying him and spending the rest of your life by his side…"

Kari looked at him with incredulity, eyebrows lifted far up into her hairline.

"You do realise that it was just one date, right?"

Grumbling, Tai nodded in agreement, but still believed in the words he told her. He wasn't about to let TK steal her away from him without a fight. Tai did not want to see his sister struggle with splitting her time between family, friends and boyfriend. Things had been much simpler when he was the only boy she didn't find icky.

An abrupt, sharp tug on Kari's fishing rod brought Tai out of his thoughts as his sister shrieked piercingly and began reeling in her catch. Tai helped her out as best he could, but the boat was rocking heavily and there wasn't enough room to move around very much. The rod was bent nearly in half by the time Kari hauled the fish up onto the boat, still flopping and jerking around. Throwing it into the bucket of water, Tai sat back just in time for his own rod to go berserk as a fish latched onto the hook.

Kari's laughter drowned out his swearing as he grappled with the fish, getting pulled forward hard enough to hang over the edge of the boat. She grabbed his feet and yanked him back to safety while he reeled in the biggest fish he'd ever caught.

By the time they had a real chance to relax again, both Tai and Kari were soaking wet and completely dishevelled. Tai's hair was messier than ever and Kari's bangs were plastered back against her head in an unflattering manner. Their fish swam together in the bucket, and the siblings watched peacefully as their catch nipped at each other's tails.

When they finally got home, their mother was surprised they'd caught anything and immediately began frying the fish for the meal she was making. Tai and Kari agreed with her disbelief; this morning it hadn't looked too promising, but as it turned out, they caught a lot more than they expected.

--------------------------

Eh, whaddya think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1587094/
BenignUser
::Champion::
::Champion::
BenignUser

Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"   Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing" Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Tai/Kari sibling fics are always pro imo!

I'm glad that Kari's sticking up for herself! I totally agree~ I mean, what right does Tai have to interfere with her life? It's not like he'll be the one dating TK. At least her parents are smart enough to let her make her own decisions. Could you imagine if she actually listened to Tai? What would TK think? He'd be furious that Tai decided to butt into his life like that. ~_~ Anyways, I'm gonna shut up now before I progress into a mindless rant.

Much thanks for the gift. I'm really happy to have received it~ <3
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/20858/
emotionless-robot
emotionless-robot

Number of posts : 1075

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"   Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing" Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 pm

You're welcome... I'm glad you liked it! XD
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1587094/
Na-cat
Na-cat

Number of posts : 998

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"   Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing" Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Ooh, I liked this one loads!

I always find it funny when Tai gets overprotective of Kari, no matter how stupid it gets XD

Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to say!
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1457263/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"   Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Challenge: Summer Gift-fic for BenignUser - "Gone Fishing"
Page 1 of 1