We are awesome ^,^

HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

"Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Potgenie
::Ultimate::

Number of posts : 2058
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:17 pm

I am totally with Caitlin and Aana's points!

I've had enough personal experience to feel that a parent does not have the right to force their beliefs on their kids. It's their duty to teach and impart knowledge, but just because they believe in something doesn't mean that their kids HAVE to believe in them too. (This is quite apart from religion, btw.)

I know that more often than not they mean well, but I still think it's wrong.

And yes, that makes sense, kinda. It's what a friend of mine believes too! And it makes sense in that since that's what you believe in, then you'll die believing that anyway. Um, lol. I know that came out weird, but I don't really know how to phrase my point.

On another note, I've no idea WHAT I believe in regards to that topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/599590/
Goggles

Number of posts : 1192
Registration date : 2009-06-26

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:19 pm

No problem, I was too busy with editing a collective fic to notice. I like your view, it's a fresh perspective on things.

It seems I'm the odd one out. Did you miss my note that when one becomes an adult, he is freed from parental conventions? In that case, think of the kid's first religion as training wheels. Later on he gets to choose his own bike.

Last edited by Goggles on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/954244/Kyrie_Sky
Aana
::Gennai::

Number of posts : 2312
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Goggles wrote:
To miss Aana: they're=they are. Use their, instead.

Don't do that. Ever.

I am not a retard, and I do not like being patronized. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, pointing them out like that is just plain rude.

And besides, if you want to get technical, that should be "Miss. Aana".

Back on topic, I have to say I disagree with your training wheels argument. Because some people- and I'm speaking from personal experience- just spend their entire life blind to every other religious view. There's no reasoning with people like that, and at the end of the day it's just pig-ignorant.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614494/
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:57 pm

pale Sorry 'bout that. I was in edit-mode and-

But I just thought-....

Forgive my stupidity; I don't know you that well to do that. It'll never happen again.

Let's end the discussion here, shall we? I sense tempers rising and disagreements might boil into an all-out life-principle-war...

Unless you girls still have questions about Witnesses, I think this thread should fade away now like it was about to before I thoughtlessly revived it. I shouldn't have posted here in the first place.

Religion is a conversation taboo, after all.
Back to top Go down
Aana

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:33 am

Sorry- I shouldn't have snapped like that. I guess you were just trying to help.

It's all the talk of the LP drama, it's got me on the defensive.

Can I just ask one more question? Everyone always talks about Witnesses coming to their houses to talk about they're religion... How does that work? Is it voluntary, or what?

Back to top Go down
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:51 am

Huggles thinks this is the one of the reasons that make Witnesses fluffy and adorable. When they go house to house, they do it voluntarily.

Witnesses don't get salaries, favors, or commission going house to house but Huggles doesn't really mind. It just goes to show how devoted they are to their beliefs and that makes Huggles proud to be a Witness herself. Everyone in a congregation of Witnesses, even the cute little kiddies, usually participates in this.

Huggles is sorry if her explanation is not as good as her Sangko (third eldest boy), he is better adapted to explaining than her. That makes Huggles sad that she cannot compare to him but, at the same time, proud of her older brother.

~Huggles
Back to top Go down
ARCtheElite

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:55 am

I know this is closed, but I do want to end off on a positive note:

Goggles/Huggles (who's who?), thanks for your explanation! There's so little published information on Witnesses where I am (by which I mean my church) that I never really knew what you guys stood for. Now I get to walk away from the computer screen feeling a little more educated Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/~arctheelite
D

Number of posts : 2387
Location : In Your Heart, and Yours, and Yours! Oh, and Yours too!
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:12 am

Goggles/Huggles wrote:
Huggles thinks this is the one of the reasons that make Witnesses fluffy and adorable. When they go house to house, they do it voluntarily.

Witnesses don't get salaries, favors, or commission going house to house but Huggles doesn't really mind. It just goes to show how devoted they are to their beliefs and that makes Huggles proud to be a Witness herself. Everyone in a congregation of Witnesses, even the cute little kiddies, usually participates in this.

Huggles is sorry if her explanation is not as good as her Sangko (third eldest boy), he is better adapted to explaining than her. That makes Huggles sad that she cannot compare to him but, at the same time, proud of her older brother.

~Huggles

Okay, so I gather there are two of you which, 1) makes this confusing, 2) is really annoying (mostly because I dislike people who talk about themselves in third person) and 3) you know making an account isn't very hard, on the contrary, it's extremely easy.

And dude, if you have an alter ego that's a chick... I am never letting you live that down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1668430/
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:34 am

That's the last time I'm leaving the computer without logging off. Sorry for the confusion people! I wish she would stop talking online like that; although there are people who find it cute that she's "huggly" there are lots who find it annoying. She doesn't seem really interested in making an account here, though.

So far, what Alex said was right. Witnesses don't get anything for going to your houses early morning and knocking on your door, they use their own money for transportation and food, and their own time.
Back to top Go down
D

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:44 am

So I'm guessing Alex is your sister?

Yeah, that "Huggy" thing is annoying. Razz

I know that the door-to-door thing was on your own time, and I do think it's nice that you're trying to spread your Word. I just don't like the concept of taking it to someone's home.

But all in all, thank you for explaining everything. You honestly didn't annoy me with what you said like the door-knockers do. Smile
Back to top Go down
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:50 am

And still she wouldn't stop..

I'm a door-knocker myself, if you didn't know. Well, people do tend to have different ways of talking so I guess the ones knocking on your door have to brush up a little on their people-skills. There are just people out there whose personal space you have to respect.

Glad I could help you understand our ways..
Back to top Go down
Catching Rain
::Champion::

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:22 am

Personally, I'm afraid of door knockers. No offense, Andre, but it's because I've had a bad experience with them.

Once, there was a pair who came to my house while my mom was babysitting, and the kiddies were taking a nap, so she asked them to come back later just to get them to go away, and they came back at like, 10 that night. She refused to answer the door, and they started kicking it. They eventually gave up, but not without leaving a dent in my door.

Please tell me you don't do that, Andre. D:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/891682/
Na-cat
::DigiDestined::

Number of posts : 998

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:28 am

That sounds... wrong. Wrong, I think, is the word I'm looking for.

D

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:33 am

I've met some very agressive door-knockers in my life.

This really irks the heck out of me - I'm Mexican and I unfortunately look like it. So people who come to my door assume that I speak fluent Spanish (tbh, my Spanish sucks). When I say I don't understand them, they get mad at me!

And from there, they're rude. This is usually when they notice we have statues of saints and the Virgin Mary outide, and they try to tell me that my religion is wrong. That's also around the time I slam the door in their face.

Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Na-cat

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:39 am

Wow, that sounds awful too. Sympathies to both of you!

I've never experienced door knockers or anything of the sort.
Around here it's more like there's a general unsaid opinion of "You have a religion? You suck!"
Which I happen to dislike, but don't voice my opinion against much, seeing as it leads to people directly assuming you're just upset because they insulted your "crap religion" and it encourages them. :/

Catching Rain

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:42 am

Yeah, I've gotten that too, Diane. People call my house looking for my uncle and I can only catch a little bit of what they're saying. Sometimes being Mexican is hard. And then you get the really rude people who, even though you're American born and bred, will ask you if you're legal before they hire you. I've gotten that more than once. It really makes me mad.

Wiow, Nina, is it really that bad? I hate it when your opinion starts a verbal war. EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion. I tell them that, and then if they press the matter further I tell 'em to suck it and they go away. XD
Back to top Go down
Na-cat

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:03 am

Ha, good for you! On the second part, I mean, the first part really isn't so cool, lots of people of arabic origin have that problem here too.

It's not terribly bad, as in it is mostly tolerable. I'm just a little revolted by the fact that so many people seem to implicitely conform to a norm composed of certain opinions on so many things (religion, politics etc.)

Having a lay state has led to religion being frowned upon by many, simply because they're completely ignorant of it. Some of all religion, some of all save their own.
There's even talk of out right banning the burkha. Head scarves are all ready prohibited in schools, as is any religous symbol, including a cross or star worn as a pendant.

Catching Rain

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:55 am

Are you kidding me?

I mean, they have separation of church and state here, but people at school wear crosses and stars. They're not as noticeable as the burkha, but they aren't banning it, either. You just can't wear hats. That, and my school had a whole two people who were Muslim, and one graduated. Although, her middle name was Muhammed, after her father, and they refused to say it at the graduation ceremony. It pissed me off so bad. Her dad owns a fish store, for crying out loud.

What is happening to the world? I think because of Bush's "war on terror," the emphasis he put on the middle east bearing "weapons of mass destruction" caused the generalization that all Muslims are terrorists, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Every religion has its extremists. That why you got that cult in Jonestown that ended up wiping themselves out with poisoned Kool-Aid - a religious extremist took it too far. But that's one person out of hundreds of thousands that worship religion. And it really saddens me to see the world blame innocent people.
Back to top Go down
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Catching Rain wrote:
Personally, I'm afraid of door knockers. No offense, Andre, but it's because I've had a bad experience with them.

Once, there was a pair who came to my house while my mom was babysitting, and the kiddies were taking a nap, so she asked them to come back later just to get them to go away, and they came back at like, 10 that night. She refused to answer the door, and they started kicking it. They eventually gave up, but not without leaving a dent in my door.

Please tell me you don't do that, Andre. D:

Goodness, no. If I can't convince a person the morning I visit, I try again next time we visit that area. They must have had a really bad day to come at 10pm and start kicking your door. That's just bad manners.

PrincessJaded wrote:
I've met some very agressive door-knockers in my life.

This really irks the heck out of me - I'm Mexican and I unfortunately look like it. So people who come to my door assume that I speak fluent Spanish (tbh, my Spanish sucks). When I say I don't understand them, they get mad at me!

And from there, they're rude. This is usually when they notice we have statues of saints and the Virgin Mary outide, and they try to tell me that my religion is wrong. That's also around the time I slam the door in their face.

Sorry.

Mmhmm. Some of us are just too, how should I put it, fiery when it comes to issues like statues of saints. Rant all you want, this is under "Rants", after all.

Catching Rain wrote:
Are you kidding me?

I mean, they have separation of church and state here, but people at school wear crosses and stars. They're not as noticeable as the burkha, but they aren't banning it, either. You just can't wear hats. That, and my school had a whole two people who were Muslim, and one graduated. Although, her middle name was Muhammed, after her father, and they refused to say it at the graduation ceremony. It pissed me off so bad. Her dad owns a fish store, for crying out loud.

What is happening to the world? I think because of Bush's "war on terror," the emphasis he put on the middle east bearing "weapons of mass destruction" caused the generalization that all Muslims are terrorists, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Every religion has its extremists. That why you got that cult in Jonestown that ended up wiping themselves out with poisoned Kool-Aid - a religious extremist took it too far. But that's one person out of hundreds of thousands that worship religion. And it really saddens me to see the world blame innocent people.

Half the problem is that society's too quick to generalize, especially with things they don't know. So since the extremists get the spotlight, people associate their out-of-the-line ideals to the innocent as well.
Back to top Go down
Aana

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Andre, I have a question...

When you're knocking door-to-door, is it a surprise when someone actually says "Yeah, sure! Come right in, would you like some tea?" I don't mean that in a skeptical way, it's just when two of my friends did invite some Witnesses in, they were a bit shy. They even asked "Are you sure?".

(Unfortunately, my friends were pretty high. So I don't think they really learnt much...)

Back to top Go down
xReadItAndWeepx
::Rookie::
::Rookie::

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-05-07

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Yeah. One black sheep in Scotland therefore all the sheep in Scotland must be black.

I think I must be the only peron on this forum whose never had their door knocked on by a Witness before...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Oh, you remembered that? Potgenie says Witnesses are banned in her area so you're not really alone. Just you wait, once the ban lifts you'll be surprised there are lots of Witnesses in your area without the authorities knowing...

It is an unusual occurrence, Aana, but not very strange. I've had many households invite me and the person I'm with. Most of them were already acquainted with our work and were taking Bible studies with Witnesses who, for varying reasons had to leave for another place. It's always a nice surprise especially considering the number of people who I really can't open up a conversation with. It must be the first time the Witnesses who visited your friends to have been invited in.

Last edited by Goggles on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Aana

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm

I have to say, I think you're very brave (though brave is possible the wrong word, but atm my vocabulary is limited) for all this- not just going door-to-door to explain your views, but also talking and explaining and answering questions from all of us online.

This isn't me trying to close the conversation, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing all of this with us ^,^

Back to top Go down
Goggles

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:17 pm

It's not a big deal, really. I'm always glad to have someone to talk to about such things and online I don't have the same butterflies I get when actually going to other people's houses.
Back to top Go down
Aana

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Is it kind of scary when you to other peoples houses?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.   

Back to top Go down

"Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour And I'm Not Afraid To Say It"... ARGH.
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next